Activities before starting work on a gantry
The most effective way to lower the risk of danger, including accidents while working on a gantry is the precise knowledge of security principles and industrial safety as well as abiding those rules. These activities must be carried out before, during and after finishing to operate the machine. Below, we present necessary activities before starting work.
Before starting the job, every operator of the machine is obliged to do special control jobs. Their aim is to ensure safety to themselves and other workers on their positions. Every gantry course involves information about the following activities; therefore, the person after finishing the course should know how to start work.
Most important rules before starting work on gantries:
- work using the machine can be done only in case it has a current decision of the Office of Technical Inspection
- while operating the machine, you must follow all EHS regulations, including the workplace guidance as well as additionally the manual of the machine.
- work involving using the tool can be conducted by a person holding suitable gantry qualifications
- in case of noticing defects, you must immediately stop working, switch off the machine and inform the responsible person
Activities that should be done before starting the job:
- you should read current information in the exploitation book, the operation book, the delivery-acceptance book for a particular machine
- you should check if the machine is situated in a safe position and there are no objects being to the risk of a person or an object
- you should precisely check the weight of all loads which are to be relocated and compare them with the maximum weight limit of the machine as not to exceed it
- you should agree on communication signs with a hook operator
- you should appropriately prepare the place for the storage of loads.
- you should carry out the machine inspection- it is important to do it every time you start work
The machine inspection involves:
- the control of functionality with sight- checking the work environment, the track, the technical condition of the machine and its particular elements, for example paying special attention to mechanical damages or leakage; you should also inspect the wheels of the hoist or the hoisting winch and the bridge, the rope, the supporting chain, the catching device, protecting covers. What is more, you should check if the machine is not blocked, off service or if it is not currently under maintenance work or the inspection.
- the inspection of particular safety elements- checking the condition of main off switch functionality, the crate control, warning mechanisms, elements blocking the movement, control devices, STOP connector, end connectors, the brake with loading and the hoist capacity limiter and the slip clutch also with the machine. Additionally, the operator must check if the machine moves accordingly to indications on the control panel.
- the control of driving mechanisms- it is essential to complete the test drive of the machine
At the end, you have to mark doing the jobs in the exploitation book.